Blackford, a parish in Somersetshire, 4½ miles WSW of Wincanton, and 3 from Sparkford station on the G.W.R. Post town, Wincanton. Acreage, 724; population, 118. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; gross value, £152 with residence. The church is Early English, with a fine Norman entrance-arch, and was restored in 1880. There is a Wesleyan chapel. A beautiful spring rises here called the "Nun's Well."
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Blackford St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||Wincanton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Blackford from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Blackford (St. Michael))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.