Binegar, Somerset

Historical Description

Binegar, a parish in Somersetshire, at the eastern end of the Mendip Hills, with a station on the Somerset and Dorset Joint railway, 132 miles from London, and 5 NW of Wells. Post town, Bath; money order and telegraph office, Oakhill railway station. Acreage, 1197; population of the civil parish, 321; of the ecclesiastical, 316. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; net value, £267 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Bath and Wells. The church was rebuilt in 1859. A horse fair is held on the Wednesday in Whitsun Week. Gurney Slade is a hamlet and a small village ½ a mile to the east.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Somersetshire
Ecclesiastical parish Binegar Holy Trinity
Hundred Wells-Forum
Poor Law union Shepton-Mallet

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Binegar from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Binegar are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.

DistrictMendip
CountySomerset
RegionSouth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtBA3
Post TownRadstock