Bathampton, Somerset

Historical Description

Bathampton, a parish in Somerset, on the river Avon and the G.W.R., 105 miles from London, and 1½ mile NE of Bath. It lias a station on the railway, and a post office under Bath; money order and telegraph office, Batheaston. Acreage, 933; population, 402. A series of suburban villas extends onwards to Bath. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; net value, £84 with residence, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Bristol. The church is Perpendicular English; has a fine west door; contains effigies of a knight and his lady of the time of Edward III.; and was repaired and enlarged in 1882.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Somersetshire
Ecclesiastical parish Bathampton St. Nicholas
Hundred Bath-Forum
Poor Law union Bath

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Bathampton from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Bathampton are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.

CountyBath and North East Somerset
RegionSouth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtBA2
Post TownBath