Batcombe, Somerset

Historical Description

Batcombe, a parish in Somersetshire, 3 miles E of Evercreech on the Somerset and Dorset railway, and 3 N of Bruton on the G.W.R. It has a post and money order office under Bath; telegraph office, Evercreech. Acreage, 3238; population, 588. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Upton-Noble, in the diocese of Bath and Wells; net value, £703. The church was restored in 1844, and a new tenor bell was hung in 1887. There is a Wesleyan chapel.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Somersetshire
Civil parish Nyland
Hundred Glaston-Twelve-Hides
Poor Law union Axbridge

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Batcombe from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Batcombe are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.

DistrictMendip
CountySomerset
RegionSouth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtBA4
Post TownShepton Mallet