Barrington, a parish in Somerset, 3½ miles NE of Ilminster station on the G.W.R. Post town, and money order and telegraph office, Petherton. Acreage, 1192; population of the civil parish, 447; of the ecclesiastical, 408. Barrington Court is an exceptionally fine and unaltered specimen of Early Tudor domestic architecture, built by the Daukneys, and afterwards held, amongst others, by the Phelipses and Strodes. In the time of the latter it was visited by the Duke of Monmouth. It is now a farmhouse, and some parts of it in bad repair. The church is cruciform, and of the 13th and 15th centuries, and has a central octagonal tower. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; gross value, £290. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Barrington St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Langport|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Barrington 1654-1812, Somerset is available to browse online.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Barrington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Barrington (St. Mary))
- Kelly's Directory of Somerset, 1914
Online maps of Barrington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.