Babcary, a parish in Somerset, near the river Parret, 3 miles from Sparkford station on the G.W.R. It includes the hamlets of Foddington and Stert, and its post town is Somerton, which is the money order and telegraph office. Acreage, 2412; population, 336. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; net value, £324 with residence. The church is good, and was restored in 1876. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Babcary Holy Cross|
|Poor Law union||Langport|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Babcary from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Babcary (Holy Cross))
Online maps of Babcary are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.