Ashwick, a parish in Somerset, on the Fosse way, near Masbury camp, 1½ mile from Binegar station on the Somerset and Dorset Railway. Post town, Bath; money order office, Oakhill; telegraph office, Shepton Mallet. Acreage, 1530; population of the civil parish, 814; of the ecclesiastical, 640. Ashwick Grove is the seat of the Stracheys. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; value, £IIO. Patron, the Vicar of Kilmersdon. The church is good and has been well preserved; there are two dissenting chapels. The villages of Nettlebridge and Gurney Slade are partly in this parish.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Ashwick St. James|
|Poor Law union||Shepton-Mallet|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ashwick from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Ashwick (St. James))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.