Abbas Combe or Abbas and Temple Combe, Somerset
Combe-Abbas or Abbas and Temple-Combe, a parish in Somerset, adjacent to the river Cale and the boundary with Dorsetshire. It has a station at the junction here of the L. & S.W. and Midland joint railways, 112 miles from London, and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Bath. Acreage, 1910; population, 632. A preceptory of the Knights Templars was at Temple-Combe. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; value, £330. The church, dedicated to St Mary, is in the Perpendicular style, though portions of it date from the 13th century. It consists of chancel, nave, aisle, and side chapel. The tower contains a peal of six bells. There is a Congregational chapel and some large dairies in the parish.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Abbas-Combe St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Wincanton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Abbas Combe or Abbas and Temple Combe from the following:
Online maps of Abbas Combe or Abbas and Temple Combe are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.