Norton Fitzwarren, Somerset
Norton Fitzwarren, a village and a parish in Somerset. The village stands near the river Tone, with a station on the G.W.R., 160 miles from London, and 2½ WNW of Taunton. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Taunton. The parish contains the tithings of Langford and Vanhampton, and comprises 1358 acres; population, 530-There is a parish council consisting of six members. The manor, with the manor house on a commanding site, belongs. to the Marshall family. Montys Court, Norton Court, and Way House are chief residences. A curious earthwork is on a hill above the church; comprises 13 acres, engirt by ditch and double rampart; is locally fabled to have been the haunt of a prodigious serpent, which long devastated the surrounding country; and was thought by The Rev. Mr Warre, in an account of it to the Somerset Archasological Society, to be the site of an ancient British town. The present village may not improbably be traceable to an ancient British origin, and at least, has an ancient importance assigned to it by an old local rhyme, which says-"When Taunton was a furzy down, Norton was a market-town."
The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; gross value, £250 with residence. The church is Early English; comprises nave, aisles, cliancel, and chapel, with a tower; and has an E memorial window. The nave and the N aisle were rebuilt in 1853; and the chancel was restored, and the chapel built, in 1865. There is a Congregational chapel.