Wistanstow, a village and a parish in Salop. The village lies on the river Onny, and on a branch of the Roman Watling Street, which intersects the parish. It is 1½ mile N of Craven Arms station on the G.W. and L. & N.W. Joint railway, and 6 miles S by W of Church Stretton. It has a post office under Craven Arms (R.S.O.); money order and telegraph office, Craven Arms. The parish includes the townships of Cheney Longville, Grove, the Comer, Leemore, Strefford, Felhampton, Whittingslow, and Woolston. Acreage, 5231; population, 825. It has a parish council of nine members. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford; gross value, £753 with residence. The church is a fine cruciform edifice, ranging from Norman to Perpendicular, and was restored in 1877, and again in 1895. A chapel of ease was erected in 1850 at Cwm Head. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Wistanstow Holy Trinity|
|Poor Law union||Church-Stretton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Wistanstow from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Wistanstow (Holy Trinity))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Shropshire (Salop) is available to browse.
Online maps of Wistanstow are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Shropshire newspapers online:
- Shrewsbury Chronicle
- Wellington Journal
- Eddowes's Journal, and General Advertiser for Shropshire, and the Principality of Wales
- Ludlow Advertiser
- Salopian Journal
The Visitation of Shropshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.