Uffington, a village and a parish in Salop, on the river Severn and the Shropshire Union Canal, 3 miles ENE of Shrewsbury, with a post office under Shrewsbury; money order office, Shrewsbury; telegraph office, Upton Magna. Acreage, 3055; population of the civil parish, 309; of the ecclesiastical, 154. There is a parish council consisting of eight members. The civil parish includes Haughmond, where are the ruins of an Augustinian abbey founded in the 12th century. Sundorne Castle and Pimley Manor are chief residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield; gross value, £90 with residence. The church is good.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Uffington Holy Trinity|
|Poor Law union||Atcham|
|Registration district||Atcham (1837-1935)|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Uffington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Uffington (Holy Trinity))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Shropshire (Salop) is available to browse.
Online maps of Uffington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Shropshire newspapers online:
- Shrewsbury Chronicle
- Wellington Journal
- Eddowes's Journal, and General Advertiser for Shropshire, and the Principality of Wales
- Ludlow Advertiser
- Salopian Journal
The Visitation of Shropshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.