Stapleton, a village and a parish in Salop. The village is 1 mile N of Dorrington station on the Shrewsbury and Hereford Joint (L. & N.W. and G.W.) railway, and 6 miles S by W of Shrewsbury, It has a post office under Shrewsbury; money order and telegraph office, Dorrington. The parish contains also the hamlets of Upper and Lower Moat, Netley, Shady Moor, and Vinnels. Acreage, 2554; population, 245. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield; net value, £370 with residence. Patron, the Earl of Denbigh. The church is ancient and remarkable, owing to the fact that on the top of the thick walls of a Saxon or Early Norman building a second church was erected in the 12th century, thus forming two storeys, which were subsequently thrown into the present lofty structure. It was restored in 1867. In the churchyard is a large tumulus supposed to be of Saxon origin.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Stapleton St. John|
|Poor Law union||Atcham|
|Registration district||Atcham (1837-1935)|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Stapleton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Stapleton (St. John))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Shropshire (Salop) is available to browse.
Online maps of Stapleton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Shropshire newspapers online:
- Shrewsbury Chronicle
- Wellington Journal
- Eddowes's Journal, and General Advertiser for Shropshire, and the Principality of Wales
- Ludlow Advertiser
- Salopian Journal
The Visitation of Shropshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.