Richards Castle, a village and a parish in Herefordshire and Salop. The village stands adjacent to the boundary with Salop, 2 miles WNW of Woofferton station on the Shrewsbury and Hereford (L. & N.W and G.W.) Joint railway, and 3 1/2 SSW of Ludlow. It was once a market-town, and has a post office under Ludlow; money order and telegraph office, Orleton. The parish includes the townships of Woofferton, Overton, Moor, and Batchcott. Acreage, 4909 (including 2500 in Herefordshire); population, 735 (including 249 in Herefordshire). There is a parish council of seven members for the Salop portion of the parish, and a parish meeting for the portion in Herefordshire. Moor Park, Overton, and Overton House are the chief residences. There are timber yards and a large sawmill at Woofferton. A castle was built here before the Norman Conquest by Richard Fitz-Scrob, and has left some traces. The Royalists were routed in the vicinity in 1645 by Colonel Birch. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford; net value, £668 with, residence. Patron, the Bishop of Worcester. The church of St Bartholomew is a fine old Norman edifice with a detached tower. A new church was erected in 1891 at Batchcott.
Richards Castle, Shropshire