Pitchford, a village and a parish in Salop. The village stands on an affluent of the river Severn, near Watling Street, 2 miles S by W of Berrington station on the G.W.R,, and 6 SSE of Shrewsbury. It takes its name from a bituminous spring. Post town, Shrewsbury; money order and telegraph office, Acton Bumell. Acreage of parish, 1640; population, 231. Pitchford Hall, a curious old timber and plaster house of the 16th century, was for many years the seat of the Otley family, and passed in 1807 to the Earl of Liverpool, who entertained the Princess Victoria and the Duchess of Kent here in 1832. It passed by marriage to the Cotes family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield; net value, £140 with residence. The church is Early English, and contains a carved oak effigy of a crusader and monuments of the Otleys.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Pitchford St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||Atcham|
|Registration district||Atcham (1837-1935)|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1558.
Church of England
St. Michael (parish church)
The church of St. Michael is an edifice of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel and nave: in the church, on an altar-tomb of stone, is a cross-legged effigy carved in oak of a knight, in chain mail; the sides of the tomb are relieved by shields of arms: around the communion table are four incised slabs to several members of the Ottley family, once lords of the manor of Pitchford: the east window is a memorial to Charles Cecil Cope (Jenkinson), 3rd Earl of Liverpool, who died 3 Sept. 1851.
St. Michael, Pitchford
St. Michael, Pitchford
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Pitchford from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Pitchford (St. Michael))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Shropshire (Salop) is available to browse.
Online maps of Pitchford are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Shropshire newspapers online:
- Shrewsbury Chronicle
- Wellington Journal
- Eddowes's Journal, and General Advertiser for Shropshire, and the Principality of Wales
- Ludlow Advertiser
- Salopian Journal
The Visitation of Shropshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.