Great and Little Whittington, Northumberland

Historical Description

Whittington, Great and Little, two townships in Corbridge parish, Northumberland, 7 and 6½ miles NE of Hexham, and from 4 to 5½ from Corbridge station on the N.E.R. There is a post office of the name of Whittington under Corbridge (R.S.O.); money order office, Matfen; telegraph office, Stamfordham. Acreage, 1494 and 362; population, 221 and 14. There is a Wesleyan chapel at Great Whittington.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: