Hingham, a small market-town and a parish in Norfolk. The town stands on a rising ground near a lake which emits one of the headstreams of the river Tare, 1 mile from Hard-ingham station on the G.E.R., and 6 miles W by N from Wymondham, was partially burned in the middle of the 18th century, and is now chiefly modern, has a weekly market on Tuesday, and fairs on 7 March and 2 Oct. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Attleborough. The parish comprises 3698 acres; population, 1560. The manor belonged to the Earls of Pembroke, and passed to the Mor-leys, and it now belongs to the Earl of Kimberley. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich; net yearly value, £950, in the gift of the Earl of Kimberley. The church was built by Remigius de Hethersete, the rector, in 1316; is a spacious structure of flint in the Decorated style, with a lofty tower; had formerly several chapels; contains in a still extant side chapel a noble monument to Thomas Lord Morley, who died in 1435; has an E window of stained glass 36 feet by 18, given in 1813 by Lord Wodehouse; and was restored in 1872. There are Congregational and Primitive Methodist chapels. A grammar school, founded in 1727 by William Parlett, has £120 a year from endowment. Sir Ralph de Hingham, a judge in the time of Edward I., was a native.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Hingham St. Andrew|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Norfolk Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers for Norfolk online.
Findmypast, in conjunction with Norfolk Record Office have the following parish records online for Hingham:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hingham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Hingham (St. Andrew))
Online maps of Hingham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Norfolk newspapers online:
- Norwich Mercury
- Norfolk Chronicle
- Diss Express
- Thetford & Watton Times and People's Weekly Journal
- Norfolk News
The Visitations of Norfolk 1563, 1589, and 1613 is available on the Heraldry page.