South Kyme, Lincolnshire
Kyme, South, a parish consisting of the townships of North and South Kyme, in Lincolnshire. The township of South Kyme lies on Car Dyke, 5 miles SW from Dogdyke station on the G.N.R., and 10 ENE from Sleaford. The river Kyme flows through this parish to the Witham, and is called the Kyme Eau. It has a post office under Lincoln; money order and telegraph office, Billinghay. Area of North Kyme, 3854 acres; of South Kyme, 4892 acres; population of the parish, 1092. A priory of Austin or Black Canons was founded here in the time of Henry II. by Philip de Kyme, and was given at the dissolution to the Earl of Rutland and Robert Tirwhit. An ancient castle formerly stood in this parish, which was pulled down with the exception of the keep about 1725. The keep, a lofty tower of stone still remains, and from the top a good view of the surrounding country may be obtained. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln; net value, £190 with residence. The church is an ancient building of stone in Norman and Decorated styles, the south aisle of which formed part uf the church of the priory. It was restored in 1890.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||South Kyme All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Sleaford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with the Lincolnshire Archives, have the following parish records online for South Kyme:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for South Kyme from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Kyme, South (All Saints))
Online maps of South Kyme are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lincolnshire papers online: