Skeffington, a parish, with a pleasant village, in Leicestershire, 4 miles S of Tilton station on the Newark and Market Harborough Joint Line of the G.N.R. and L. & N.W.R., and 10 E by S of Leicester. It has a post office under Leicester; money order and telegraph office, Billesdon. Acreage, 2189; population, 172. The manor with Skeffington Hall belongs to the Tailby family. Skeffington Hall was the seat of the baronet family of Skeffington, extinct in 1850; was the birthplace of Bishop and Lord Deputy Skeffington of the early part of the 16th century, and is a large mansion with castellated E and S front. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough; gross value, £447 with residence. The church is an ancient edifice of stone in the Norman and Early English styles, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, S porch, and an embattled western tower.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Skeffington St. Thomas à Becket|
|Poor Law union||Billesdon|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Skeffington:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Skeffington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Skeffington (St. Thomas à Becket))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
Online maps of Skeffington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online: