Glen Parva, Leicestershire
Glen Parva, a township in Aylstone parish, Leicestershire, on the river Sence and Union Canal, 4 miles S from Leicester, and 1 mile W from Wigston station on the M.R. Post town, Leicester; money order and telegraph office, Wigston. Acreage, 855; population, 485. There is a military-depot centre of the 17th regimental district.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Blaby|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Glen Parva:
They also have the following online for Glen Parva & South Wigston:
Church of England
St. Thomas (parish church)
The church of St. Thomas, South Wigston, is a plain edifice of red brick, with a tower containing 8 bells, the gift of T. Ingram esq. who erected the tower: the tower also contains a clock, placed there by public subscription in memory of the men of this parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18. The church, locally in the hamlet of Glen Parva, was erected in 1893, in place of the former mission hall, built in 1886, in part by the Leicester Church Extension Board, who subscribed £1,750 of the cost, a further £1,000 and the pulpit being the gift of T. Ingram esq. of Wigston Magna, who also presented the organ: there are sittings for 600 persons.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Glen Parva from the following:
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
Online maps of Glen Parva are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online: