Foxton, a village and a parish in Leicestershire, on the Union Canal, 2 miles NE from Lubbenham station on the L. & N.W.R., and 3 NW of Market Harborough. Post and money order office under Market Harborough; telegraph office, Lubbenharo. Acreage, 1893; population, 284. The surface is hilly and well wooded, and the soil is clayey. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough; net yearly value, £142 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is an ancient building of stone in the Early English style. There is also a small Baptist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Foxton St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Harborough|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1653 and is in geod condition.
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Foxton:
Church of England
St. Andrew (parish church)
The existing church of St. Andrew, standing on a height, is an ancient building of stone, in the Early English and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, north and south porches and an embattled western tower, containing a clock and 5 bells, dated 1630; the bells were recast and a sixth added in memory of the Rev. Thomas Widdowson in 1912 at a cost of over £200: the chancel retains a piscina: the massive square Norman font, about 5 feet in height, is ornamented on the exterior with intersecting Norman arches: on the walls of the south aisle are traces of beautiful fresco work: there is a marble tablet, erected in 1920, bearing the names of those of the parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18: in 1893 the church was thoroughly restored at a cost of £2,300, under the direction of Mr. H. Hardwicke Langston A.R.I.B.A. of London, the chancel being separately repaired by Mr. Robert Halifax Hansell, the lay rector: there are 350 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Foxton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Foxton (St. Andrew))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
Online maps of Foxton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online: