Stone, a parish, with a village, in Kent, 3 miles SW of Appledore station on the S.E.R., and 4½ NNE of Rye. It has a post office under Ashford; money order and telegraph office, Appledore. Acreage, 3101; population, 356. For parish council purposes Stone is conjoined with Ebony, and has a council consisting of five members. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury; net value, £270 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Canterbury. The church is old and has been restored. There is a Baptist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Stone St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Tenterden|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Stone from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Stone (St. Mary))
Online maps of Stone are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Kent newspapers online:
- Kent & Sussex Courier
- Whitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald
- Dover Express
- Kentish Gazette
- Folkestone, Hythe, Sandgate & Cheriton Herald
- Kentish Chronicle
- Maidstone Telegraph
The Visitation of Kent, 1619 is available on the Heraldry page, as is also The Visitation of Kent, 1663-68.