Linsted or Lynsted, a village and a parish in Kent. The village stands 1½ mile SSW of Teynham station on the L.C. & D.R., and 3 miles SE of Sittingbourne. It has a post and telegraph office under Sittingbourne. The parish contains also lialf of the village of Greenstreet. Acreage, 1826; population, 1157. The manor belonged formerly to the Lords Teynham, and, with Linsted Lodge, belongs now to the Tyicr family. An estate in the parish belonged to the Hugessen families, and passed to Sir Edward Knatchbull. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury; net value, £244 with residence. Patron, the Archdeacon of Canterbury. The church consists of nave, aisles, and two chapels of the Teynham and the Hugessen families, and contains in these chapels several handsome monuments.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Linstead St. Peter and St. Paul|
|Poor Law union||Faversham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Linstead from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Linstead (St. Peter and St. Paul))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Kent newspapers online:
- Kent & Sussex Courier
- Whitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald
- Dover Express
- Kentish Gazette
- Folkestone, Hythe, Sandgate & Cheriton Herald
- Kentish Chronicle
- Maidstone Telegraph
The Visitation of Kent, 1619 is available on the Heraldry page, as is also The Visitation of Kent, 1663-68.