Yaverland, Isle of Wight

Historical Description

Yaverland, a parish in the Isle of Wight, on Sandown Bay, 2 miles from Sandown station on the Isle of Wight railway, and 8 miles ESE of Newport. Post town, Brading. Acreage, 818; population, 94. The living is a rectory in diocese of Winchester; net value, £110 with residence. The church is an ancient edifice of Brittany stone in the Norman style, and was thoroughly restored and enlarged in 1889. A beautiful reredos of alabaster and mosaics was added.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Hampshire
Liberty East Medina

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Yaverland from the following:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.

CountyIsle of Wight
RegionSouth East
CountryEngland
Postal districtPO36
Post TownSandown