Wootton, Isle of Wight

Historical Description

Wootton, a parish in the Isle of Wight, on a creek of its own name, with a station on the Isle of Wight Central railway, 85 miles from London and 4 from Ryde. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office. Acreage, 1072; population of the civil parish, 97; of the ecclesiastical, 106. For parish council purposes it has been joined to Whippingham. The seat of the De Insulas or Lisles was long here, but the park was destroyed in 1705. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester; net value, £280 with residence. The church, which is an ancient building of stone in the Gothic style, has been restored. Two Wesleyan chapels are adjacent to the parish at Wootton Bridge. Woodside is the chief residence.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Hampshire
Ecclesiastical parish Wootton St. Edmund
Liberty East Medina

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Wootton from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Wootton are available from a number of sites:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.

CountyIsle of Wight
RegionSouth East
CountryEngland
Postal districtPO33
Post TownRyde