Whippingham, Isle of Wight
Whippingham, a small village and a parish in the Isle of Wight. The village stands near the Medina river, with a station on the Isle of Wight Central railway, 86 miles from London, and 2 SSE of Cowes. It has a post office under Cowes; money order and telegraph office, East Cowes. The parish includes East Cowes, Burton, Coombly, and Fairlee, and comprises 4631 acres of land and 558 of water and foreshore; population of the civil parish, 5236; of the ecclesiastical, 507. The manor belonged once to Lyra Abbey. Osborne House, a residence of the Queen, is a chief feature, and has been separately noticed. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester; gross value, £675 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church was rebuilt, partly in 1855, mainly in 1860, is in the Transition Norman style with admixture of some continental features, contains a screened section for the Queen and her household, and has a fine tower and spire. The vicarages of East Cowes and Burton are separate benefices. There are eight almshouses, erected and endowed by the Queen.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Whippingham St. Mildred|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Whippingham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Whippingham (St. Mildred))
Online maps of Whippingham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.