Swanmore, Isle of Wight

Historical Description

Swanmore, an ancient tithing in Droxford parish, Hants, was constituted a civil parish in 1894 with the addition of a small portion of Bishops Waltham parish. It lies 2 miles E by S of Bishops Waltham station on the L. & S.W.R., and has a post and money order office under Bishops Waltham; telegraph office, Bishops Waltham. Swanmore House is a chief residence. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1846. Population, 855. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester; net value, £230 with residence. Patron, the Rector of Droxford. The church was built in 1845. A chancel was added in 1856, and a tower with clock and bells, south aisle, organ chamber, and vestry in 1876-77. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel and a working-men's club.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Hampshire
Civil parish Droxford
Hundred Bishops Waltham

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Swanmore from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Swanmore are available from a number of sites:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.

DistrictWinchester
CountyIsle of Wight
RegionSouth East
CountryEngland
Postal districtSO32
Post TownSouthampton