Stanley, Isle of Wight

Historical Description

Stanley, a tithing, conjoint with Studley, in Chippenham parish, Wiltshire, 2 miles E of Chippenham. Roman coins and pavements have been found, and traces exist of a Cistercian priory, removed hither in 1154 from Quarr in the Isle of Wight.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Visitations Heraldic

The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.