Shalfleet, Isle of Wight

Historical Description

Shalfleet, a village and a parish in the W of the Isle of Wight. The village stands on a rivulet, l½ mile S of the Solent, and 5 miles from Newport station on the Isle of Wight Central railway. It has a post and money order office under Yarmouth; telegraph office, Yarmouth. Acreage of the civil parish, 5312; population, 887; of the ecclesiastical, 971. The parish extends to the coast, includes detached portions at Watchingwell and Hulverstone, and contains the hamlets of Newbridge, Brook Green, and Ningwood Green. Shalfleet manor belonged at Domesday to Gosselin Fitz Azor, passed to the Crown and to W. Montacute, Earl of Salisbury, and was given by that Earl to his abbey of Bisham in Berks. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester; net value, £120 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is chiefly late Early English, includes portions of Norman, and has a large low ancient tower, surmounted by a shingled spire of 1808. There are Wesleyan, Primitive Methodist, and Baptist chapels.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Hampshire
Liberty West Medina

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Shalfleet from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Shalfleet are available from a number of sites:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.

CountyIsle of Wight
RegionSouth East
CountryEngland
Postal districtPO30
Post TownNewport