Ryde, Isle of Wight
Ryde, a municipal borough and a parish in the Isle of Wight. The borough stands on the coast, at the N terminus of the Isle of Wight railway, opposite Spithead, 5½ miles by water SSW of Portsmouth, and 79 from London. The town has stations on the Isle of Wight railway, and the Ryde, Newport, and Cowes railway. It was anciently called La Riche or La Rye, was a port and a watch station in the time-of Edward III., was burnt by the French in 1377, went afterwards into decline, had a population of only about 220 in 1656, and of 1601 in 1811, is now the largest town in the island, a coastguard station, and the landing-place of about nine-tenths of all the visitors to the island, communicates constantly by steamers with Portsmouth, Gosport, Southampton, Cowes, and Stokes Bay, and by railway with Brading, Sandown, Shanklin, and Ventnor; occupies the N and E faces of a moderately elevated hill, together with neighbouring plains and slopes; consists chiefly of streets running parallel with the shore, or at right angles,. and generally well-built, wide, and clean; includes a suburb in the parish of St Helens; enjoys charming environs, with pleasant views of the mainland shores and of the island's hills; and has two banks, several hotels, very numerous lodging-houses, a good bathing beach, various bathing establishments, a profusion of boating appliances, an excellent pier, an esplanade, a town-hall and market-house, an assembly room, a theatre, a royal arcade, a yacht club-house, four churches, dissenting chapels, a Roman Catholic chapel, a public cemetery, a young men's Christian association, a temperance hall, recreation courts, almshouses, a dispensary,. public libraries, an infirmary, and publishes three weekly newspapers.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ryde from the following:
Online maps of Ryde are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.