Parkhurst, Isle of Wight

Historical Description

Parkhurst, a quondam extra-parochial tract in Carisbrooke parish, Isle of Wight, 1½ mile NW by N of Newport. It was known at Domesday as the King's Park, was long a royal hunting-ground, and comprised about 3000 acres, but is now very much curtailed. There are some extensive barracks and a convict prison.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Maps

Online maps of Parkhurst are available from a number of sites:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.

CountyIsle of Wight
RegionSouth East
CountryEngland
Postal districtPO30
Post TownNewport