Norton, Isle of Wight
Norton, a village and a tithing in Freshwater parish. Isle of Wight. The village stands on the coast, between the river Yar and Victoria Fort, half a mile W of Yarmouth. It is a pretty place, with villas and groups of trees, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Yarmouth. The tithing includes the village, and extends up the Yar and along the coast. Amber has been found on the shore.
Online maps of Norton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.