Newtown (Soberton), Isle of Wight

Historical Description

Newtown, a hamlet in Soberton parish, and a chapelry partly also in Hambledon parish, Hants. The hamlet lies 3½ miles E of Bishops Waltham station on the L. & S.W.R., and 11¼ N of Portsmouth. It has a post office under Bishops Waltham; money order and telegraph office, Bishops Waltham. The chapelry was constituted in 1851. Population, 650. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester; gross value, £168. The church is a building of flint and stone in The Early English style.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Visitations Heraldic

The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.