Gatcombe, Isle of Wight

Historical Description

Gatcombe, a parish in the Isle of Wight, on the river Medina, 3 miles S by W of Newport. Post town, Newport, Isle of Wight; money order and telegraph, office, Newport. Acreage, 1303; population, 208. The manor belonged from the time of King John till a recent date to the Worsleys, and passed to Lord Ashburton. Gatcombe House -was built in 1750 by one of the last of the Worsleys. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester; gross value, —£500 with residence. Patron, the University of Oxford. The church is partly Early English, partly Late Tudor, has a pinnacled tower, contains a curious wooden effigy of a knight, and is good.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Hampshire
Ecclesiastical parish Gatcomb St. Olave
Liberty West Medina

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Gatcombe from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Gatcombe are available from a number of sites:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.

CountyIsle of Wight
RegionSouth East
CountryEngland
Postal districtPO30
Post TownNewport