Much Hadham, Hertfordshire
Hadham or Much Hadham, a village and a parish in Herts. The village stands on the river Ash, near the Bunt-ingford branch of the G.E.R., 5 miles WSW from Bishop Strotford, is an ancient place, and has a station, of the name of Hadham, on the railway, a post, money order, and telegraph office (S.O.), of the name of Much Hadham, and formerly had a fair on 24 June. A palace of the bishops of London once stood here, and the site of it is now occupied by a private house. The parish contains also the hamlets of Green Tye, Exnells, Perry Green, and Bromley. Acreage, 4490; population, 1274. The living is a rectory, united with the chapelry of Perry Green, in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £677 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of London. The church is commodious and handsome, and has a tower and spire. There are a chapel of ease at Perry Green built in 1858, a Congregational chapel at Hadham Cross, and there is a public hall which was erected in 1887. There are also eight almshouses and several small charities.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Much Hadham St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Bishop-Stortford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Much Hadham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Hadham, Much (St. Andrew))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.
Online maps of Much Hadham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:
- Hertford Mercury and Reformer
- Herts Guardian, Agricultural Journal, and General Advertiser
- Watford Observer
The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.