Kingsland, a village and a parish in Herefordshire. The village stands in a fertile valley between the rivers Lugg, Arrow, and Pinsley, near the line of a Roman road, 4 miles WNW of Leominster, is said to have had a castle where King Merwald was buried, was once a market-town, is well-built and of considerable extent, and has a station on the G.W.R., and a post, money order, and telegraph office (R.S.O.) There is a fair on 11 Oct. The parish includes the townships of Astou, Lawton, Street, Longford, and West Town. Acreage, 4932; population, 975. The manor belonged for merly to the Mortimers. The battle of Mortimer's Cross in 1461 was fought on Kingsland Field, 2 ½ miles NW of the village, and is commemorated by a monumental stone erected there in 1799. The township of Street and the ancient mansion of Street Court derive their names from the Roman road. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford; net value, £651 with residence. The church was built by Edmund Mortimer in the 13th century, and was restored in 1868, and contains a piscina, sedilia, some good stained glass, and several monuments. On the E side of the porch there is a curious chamber known as the Volka's Chamber. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Kingsland St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||Leominster|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Kingsland from the following:
Online maps of Kingsland are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Herefordshire newspapers online: