Holdenhurst, a village and a parish in Hants. The village stands on the river Stour, 3 miles NW of Christchorch station on the L. & S.W.B. It has a post and money order office tinder Bournemouth; telegraph office, Bournemouth. The parish contains the tithings of Moordown, Great Dean and Little Down, Muccleshell, Muscliffe, and Throop, extends to the coast, and is all included in Christchurch borough. The area is 5935 acres, which include part of Bournemouth; population of ecclesiastical parish, 558. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester; gross value, £190. Patron, the Bishop of Winchester. The church was built in 1833, near the site of a very old one; a chancel was added and the church restored in 1873. There is a Congregational chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Christchurch|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Holdenhurst from the following:
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.