Harbridge, a parish in Hants, on the river Avon, adjacent to Dorsetshire, 3 ½ miles N by W of Kingwood station on the L. & S.W.R. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Kingwood. Acreage, 4214; population of the civil parish, 344. The manor belongs to the Earl of Nor-manton. Somerley, about 2 miles S, is the seat of the Earl of Normanton; it is a fine white brick mansion, and contains a magnificent picture gallery. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Kingwood, in the diocese of Winchester. The church was built in 1839, and has an embattled towar, surmounted by a turret.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Ringwood|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Harbridge from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Online maps of Harbridge are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.