Gosport, Hampshire

Historical Description

GOSPORT, included within the parish of Alverstoke, is entirely dependent for its importance upon its close proximity to Portsmouth. At some points the harbour separating the towns is not more than three quarters of a mile in breadth. In early times the name is supposed to have been "God's Port," originated by Bishop Henry de Blois in 1158 by reason of the shelter afforded to King Stephen during a storm in 1144. The town was formerly incorporated with Portsmouth, but was excluded after the Revolution of 1688. It has always been styled " the ancient town and borough of Gosport," notwithstanding its non-possession of a charter of incorporation. Communication with Portsmouth is maintained by means of a floating bridge, founded in 1840, and steam launches, which since 1871 have plied between the two shores. The chief thoroughfare is High Street, leading from The Hard through the whole length of the town, and traversed by a tramway connecting the outlying districts of Forton, Brockhurst, &c.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5


The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Hampshire
Civil parish Alverstoke
Hundred East Meon

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.

Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Gosport from the following:

Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.

Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:

Villages, Hamlets, &c

Stoke Road

Visitations Heraldic

The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.

RegionSouth East
Postal districtPO12
Post TownGosport