Dorsington, a small village and a parish in Gloucestershire. The village stands 1¼ mile from the river Avon, and near the boundary with Worcestershire and Warwickshire, 2 miles NW of Long Marston station on the G.W.R., and 6 SW of Stratford-on-Avon. Post town, Stratford-on-Avon; money order office, Pebworth; telegraph office, Welford-on-Avon. The parish comprises 989 acres; population, 114. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; net value, £200 with residence. The church was rebuilt in 1754, after a fire which injured it and some portion of the village.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Dorsington St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Stratford-upon-Avon|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1571.
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
Church of England
St. Peter (parish church)
The church of St. Peter, rebuilt in 1754 (the old church having been destroyed by fire), is a small edifice of brick, consisting of chancel, nave and an embattled western tower with pinnacles, containing 1 bell bearing the inscription "God save the King, 1642": there are 100 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Dorsington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Dorsington (St. Peter))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.