Bitton, Gloucestershire

Historical Description

Bitton, a village, a township, and a parish in Gloucestershire. The village stands near the confluence of the Boyd and the Avon, adjacent to the Julian Way, 6 miles SE of Bristol. Area of the township, 3665 acres; population of the civil parish, 3023; of the ecclesiastical, 1212. It has a station on the M.R., and a post and money order office under Bristol; telegraph office at the railway station. The parish includes also Hanham chapelry and Oldland hamlet, with Kingswood village and the villages of Beach, Willsbridge, Upton Cheyney, Swineford, and Longwell's Green. Coal and iron ore are worked. Traces of many Roman antiquities have been found. The manor of Bitton was granted in 1137 to Robert Fitzhardinge, and passed to his son, Robert de Berkeley, whose arms have been traced on tiles found in the churchyard; it passed to a family who assumed the name of De Bitton, and thence by marriage to the Barre family, whose name is preserved in Barre's Court, the manor house, now a farmhouse; subsequently the manor came into the hands of the Newton family, to whom there are monuments in the church. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; gross value, £294 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The church is a handsome building, partly Norman, partly Perpendicular, and has a fine Perpendicular tower, with a staircase turret; in the chancel are three sedilia. An effigy of Robert de Bitton, who died in 1227, was discovered in the churchyard, and has been placed in the church. The vicarages of Hanham, Oldland, and Kingswood are separate benefices. There Are Wesleyan and Free Methodist chapels.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Gloucestershire
Ecclesiastical parish Bitton St. Mary
Hundred Langley and Swinehead
Poor Law union Keynsham

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

The parish register dates from the year 1571.

The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.


Churches

Church of England

St. Mary (parish church)

The church of St. Mary is an ancient building of stone, in the Norman, Early English and later styles, consisting of chancel, nave, north chantry, and a fine embattled western tower, of Perpendicular date, with a stair turret, and pinnacles, and containing 6 bells: the north chantry retains three canopied sedilia and a piscina: most of the windows are stained; there are about 500 sittings.

Brethren

Brethren meeting house

No information available

Congregational

Congregational Chapel

No information available

Congregational Chapel

No information available

Methodist

Primitive Methodist Chapel

No information available

United Methodist Chapel

No information available

Wesleyan Chapel

No information available


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Bitton from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Bitton are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.

CountySouth Gloucestershire
RegionSouth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtBS30
Post TownBristol