Wrabness, a village and a parish in Essex, on the Harwich and Manningtree branch of the G.E.R., on which there is a station, and 6 ½ miles W of Harwich. Post town, Manningtree; money order and telegraph office, Mistley. Acreage, 1112; population, 264. There is a parish council consisting of five members. The name is derived from its situation on a promontory or " ness" in the frith of the Stour. The manor belongs to the Garland family. Wrabness Hall is a chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £285 with residence. The church was renovated and repaired in 1893.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Wrabness All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Tendring|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Wrabness from the following:
Online maps of Wrabness are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: