Wormingford, a village and a parish in Essex, on the river Stour, 2 ½ miles E of Bures station on the Stour Valley branch of the G.E.R., and 6 ½ NW of Colchester, with a post office (R.S.O.) under Essex; money order and telegraph office, Bures St Mary. Acreage, 2285 of land and 22 of water; population, 483. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £194 with residence. The church, which was thoroughly restored in 1869-70, is an edifice of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, N aisle, S porch, and a western tower. A handsome reredos of alabaster, with central cross, was erected in 1894.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Wormingford St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Lexden and Winstree|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Wormingford from the following:
Online maps of Wormingford are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: