Woodham Ferrers, Essex
Woodham Ferris or Woodham Ferrers, a parish, with a village, in Essex, 6 miles SW of Maldon, 9 SE from Chelmsford, and 3 N from Hull Bridge Wharf on the river Crouch. It has a station on the Maldon and Southminster branch of the G.E.R., and a post office under Chelmsford; money order and telegraph office, Danbury. Acreage, 4482; population, 769. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. The manor, with most of the land, belongs to Lord Rayleigh. A mansion of Archbishop Sandys was here, and part of it is still standing. A Black priory was founded at Bycknacre in the time of Henry III. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £539 with residence. The church, which was restored in 1884, is an ancient building originally erected in the reign of Henry II., and consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, and a western turret. There is a Congregational chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Woodham-Ferris St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Chelmsford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Woodham Ferrers from the following:
Online maps of Woodham Ferrers are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: