Woodford St Mary, Essex
Woodford or Woodford St Mary, a parish in Epping Forest, Essex, on the G.E.R., on which it has two stations known as Woodford and George Lane, 4 ½ miles N by E of Stratford. It contains Woodford Green village with a head post office, Woodford Bridge village with a post office under Chigwell Road, and Woodford village and Woodford Wells village with post offices under Woodford Green. Acreage, 2126 of land and 20 of water; population, 10,984. The manor belongs to Earl Cowley. During recent years the population of the parish has rapidly increased. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £430. Patron, Earl Cowley. The church, excepting the tower, was rebuilt in 1817 at a cost of £9000, and is a building of brick covered with stucco, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, N and S porches, and an embattled western tower. It has some ancient tombs and memorials, and a yew tree, 14 feet in circumference, stands in the churchyard. The consolidated chapelry of Holy Trinity, Hermon Hill, constituted in 1888, stands partly in Woodford and partly in Wanstead parishes. The living is a perpetual curacy of the gross value of £180, in the gift of the Bishop of St Albans. The church, erected at a cost of about £12,000 in 1890-91, is a fine building of Ancaster stone in the Transitional Norman style. There are Baptist, Congregational, and Wesleyan chapels, two mission halls, and a union church. Of the Congregational chapels, one at George Lane is a fine building of Kentish rag and Bath stone in the Early English style, erected in 1885-86 at a cost of £6000, and one at the end of Snakes Lane, Woodford Green, erected in 1873, is a lofty building in the Gothic style. Sydney Smith was a native.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: