Willingale Doe, Essex
Willingale Doe (formerly Willingehall d'Eau), a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands 4 ½ miles NE of Ongar station on the G.E.R. It dates from at least the time of Edward the Confessor, and has a post office, of the name of Willingale, under Ongar (S.O.); money order office, Ongar; telegraph office, Fyfield. The parish includes Torrells Hall, Wardens Hall, Curriers Green, and Walls Green hamlets, and comprises 1766 acres; population of the civil parish, 371; of the ecclesiastical, 478. There is a parish council consisting of five members. The manor, with most of the land, belongs to the Bramston family. The living is a rectory, united with Shellow Bowels and Berners Roding, in the diocese of St Albans. The church is an ancient building of stone in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave, N aisle, S porch, and an embattled western tower. It contains some ancient tombs and brasses.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Willingale-Doe St. Christopher|
|Poor Law union||Ongar|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Willingale Doe from the following:
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: