Widdington, a village and an ancient parish in Essex, lt mile SSE of Newport station on the G.E.R., and 5 miles S of Saffron Walden. There is a post office under Newport; money order and telegraph office, Newport. Acreage, 2046; population, 412. There is a parish council consisting of five members. Widdington Hall is now a farmhouse. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £386 with residence. The church, restored in 1872-73, is a small edifice of stone, chiefly in the Early English style. There is a Congregational chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Widdington St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Saffron-Walden|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Widdington from the following:
Online maps of Widdington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: