Wickham St Paul, Essex
Wickham St Paul, a village and a parish in Essex, 3 miles ENE of Castle Hedingham station on the Colne Valley branch of the G.E.R., and 4 ½ N by E of Halstead. There is a post office under Halstead; money order and telegraph office, Castle Hedingham. Acreage, 1225; population, 324. The manor has belonged to the Dean and Chapter of St Paul's from the 10th century. Wickham Hall is a chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £226 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Cliapter of St Paul's. The church, restored in 1866, is a small building of brick in the Early English style.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Wickham St. Paul All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Sudbury|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Wickham St Paul from the following:
Online maps of Wickham St Paul are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: