White Notley, Essex
Notley, White, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands on the river Brain, adjacent to the Braintree branch of the G.E.R., 3 ½ miles NW by N of Witham, and has a station on the railway and a post and money order office under Witham; telegraph office, Terling. The parish comprises 1868 acres; population of the civil parish, 417; of the ecclesiastical, 433. There is a parish council consisting of five members and a chairman. The manor belongs to the Wright family. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £150. Patron, the Bishop of St Albans. The church is a small building of flint, stone, and brick, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, S porch, and a small western tower of wood with an octagonal shingled spire. There are some small charities.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Braintree|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for White Notley from the following:
Online maps of White Notley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: