West Tilbury, Essex
Tilbury, West, a parish in Essex, near Low Street station on the London, Tilbury, and Southend railway, and extending south-westward to the Thames at Tilbury Fort. It has a post and money order office under Tilbury; telegraph office, Tilbury. Acreage, 1866; population, 539. A min-oral spring was discovered in 1727. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; commuted value, £556 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is an ancient edifice of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, N porch, and an embattled western tower. There is a Wesleyan Methodist chapel. Archbishop Laud was rector.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||West Tilbury St. James|
|Poor Law union||Orsett|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for West Tilbury from the following:
Online maps of West Tilbury are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: