West Mersea, Essex
Mersea, West, a parish in Essex, 6 miles S from Wivenhoe station on the Tendring Hundred branch of the G.E.R., and 10 S by W of Colchester. It comprises the western part of Mersea Island, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Colchester and a coastguard station. Acreage, 3193 ; population, 1171. A Benedictine priory was here, a cell to St Audouin's in Rouen, and passed to the D'Arcies of St Osyth. Two islets, one of them called Cobmarsh, lie adjacent in Salcott Creek. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £188 with residence. The church, a building of stone and flint showing traces of Norman work, consists of nave, S aisle, and chancel, with a tower, and is good. There are Congregational and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||West Mersea St. Peter and St. Paul|
|Poor Law union||Lexden and Winstree|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for West Mersea from the following:
Online maps of West Mersea are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: